background

Friday, February 17, 2012

An Altered Clock



I have been wanting a clock for the craft room, as I often try and estimate time by the number of songs on my MP3 player and get up and down trying to make sure I am not late. So, when I saw a clock on clearance at Hobby Lobby, I snapped it right up! But as you can see from the original photo below, it was pink. My craft room is blue, green and white, so I got out some beautiful paper from The Robin's Nest and made it my own.
I started by carefully taking apart my clock with a screw driver. If you alter a clock with glass, be sure to place this on a flat surface so you don't break it! I then cut my circle using my Cricut. If you have a digital cutter and software, you will find this is the best method to make sure you accurately cut the correct circle size and the place the center of the circle for the hands of the clock. I also used this to make sure my clock face numbers were placed perfectly! If you alter a clock by hand, make a map for the placement of your numbers before you cover the original face!
To help disguise the cut I made for slipping the circle over the clock hands (mine were NOT removable), I used an X-acto knife and cut along the edge of one of the tree trunks on the clock. See photo below. A scissors will make this cut visible, so use a craft knife if you have one!


I added some of The Robin's Nest Black Starfish paper (plain side to the edges of the clock face) to hide the black plastic and the green coordinates perfectly with my craft room color scheme! I loved the starfish motifs on the other side, so I used my Cricut and my DS software to cut in free spaces and I will use the starfish in another project! I cut the swirl using a free SVG I found via Pinterest (please find the link in the supply list below). I actually cut one swirl and hand cut it into three pieces to use on my clock. I added The Robin's Nest Fr Mowed Grass Dew Drops to embellish the swirls.

I cut the blue velvet rolled roses using the My Favorite Things, Rolled Rose Die. There are some things, the digital cutters won't cut. So, dies are wonderful for cutting specialty fabrics like velvet! The blue and white leaves and flowers are actually from a vintage bracelet my cousin gave me. I love to use vintage costume jewelry on my crafts! I use the Fr Mowed Dew Drops in the center of the flowers. The punched leaves are a Creative Memories punch.
Supply List
The Robin's Nest Blue Glitter Trees Paper
The Robin's Nest Black Starfish Paper (Green paper leaves, swirl & edge of clock face)
The Robin's Nest Fr Mowed Grass Dew Drops
Clock
Ashland blue poinsettias (Michaels)
My Favorite Things Rolled Rose Die
White Pom Pom trim
Vintage Jewelry (white and blue leaves and flowers)
Buttons
SVG flourish by My Time to Create
X-acto knife
Cricut and software (optional)
Songbird Cricut cartridge (for numbers, optional)
SCAL 2 (to cut the SVG swirl, optional)
Creative Memories leaf punch
Hot Glue gun & glue sticks

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails